Data and data availability
In the PERFORM project, we collected data about geology, reservoir properties, the chemical composition of the brines, particles and precipitated minerals. Data from approx. 26 sites and another 40 wells have been collected.
Data quality and amount of data
Depending on the specific data source for each entity in the database, the amount of data and the data quality varies considerably. Detailed information is available from a number of key geothermal sites identified initially in the project – while for other geothermal wells, only limited data were available in the literature. The key sites are listed below.
The data collection was based on more sources:
- Data from key geothermal sites.
- Additional data from Dutch sites obtained from an in-house TNO database with the permission of operators as well as new data from Dutch reservoirs.
- Data collected from a parallel geothermal research project in Denmark (the GEOTHERM project).
- Data collected from the literature.
Key geothermal sites and data for a common database
Initially, eight key geothermal sites located across Europe were identified. As part of the project application phase the operators of these sites had agreed to share data in the common knowledge database. The geothermal key sites are:
- Thisted, Denmark
- Margretheholm, Denmark
- Sønderborg, Denmark
- Groß Schönebeck, Germany
- Honselersdijk, Netherlands
- Pijnacker Nootdorp, Netherlands
- Schlattingen, Switzerland
- Oberlaa, Austria (no data supplied)
Questionnaire for data collection
Data were collected using a targeted questionnaire. The questionnaire was designed to obtain as much information as possible about basic data, important geological aspects, reservoir parameters, key geochemical data, surface facilities, well design, operational performance and potential injectivity problems.
The collected data form the basis of designing the PERFORM database. A few datasets are to be kept confidential, but a large proportion of the data in public domain is available at the website.